Sunday, July 15, 2007

What Child Is This?

A: As an ardent fan of the magnificence that is Arby’s, and a devout believer in the true power of the Market Fresh Turkey Ranch & Bacon sandwich, I have, over the course of the last few tours, converted the rest of SK into zealots, just like me for this deliciousness. It didn’t take much coaxing, thank goodness, because Arby’s, though technically a fast-food establishment, actually offers a wide range of tasty and relatively healthy food. Sure, you can go for broke with a Big Beef & Cheddar, Curly Fries, and Large Milkshake, but you can just as easily get a wrap, a bottled water, and if you want to push it, a brain-meltingly awesome apple or cherry turnover, all freshly made. Seriously, if you haven’t experienced the majesty of this chain, what the hell are you waiting for? I could go on for days about this, and I may, later on, when we have nothing else to say, but I digress for now.

We pull in to an Arby’s last night, and I pass a bulletin board where people have stapled/tacked local business opportunities, cars for sale, rooms for rent, etc. Nothing out of the ordinary, but something catches my eye as I blast into the inner doors. I stop in my tracks, and turn around to look again, and I notice that someone has tacked up the inner photo holder from a typical wallet – you know, frosty looking plastic, kind of like a tiny book? Anyway, I assume someone dropped it, although that would be kind of hard, I imagine, and some other kind soul stuck it here in the hopes it would be reunited with its presumably distraught owner. Thing is, it’s filled – FILLED – with pictures of little children. And little children who don’t even bear a passing resemblance. So it begs the question:

Whose pictures are these, and more importantly, whose kids are these?






I started to giggle at the thought of someone collecting other people’s baby pictures, but then it turned to kind of an uneasy feeling, as my mind drifted to the darker side of humanity, naturally, and I began to become a little sorry I had laughed so quickly at what could possibly be a really terrible situation. But then I quickly recovered myself and saw the inherent nonsense in this whole thing anyway, pretended nothing was wrong and made Lioux hold them up so I could snap a few pics with my phone.

L: Alienwhere also left out the part, this was our SECOND Arby’s stop of the day. We really should get some sort of sponsorship from this chain.

And yes that was a bizarre bulletin board find. Alienwhere came running in the restaurant just to show me.

Once back inside, they had messed up Elle’s order and she was standing at the counter. They forgot to put cheese on her Market Fresh Sandwich, and she was just humbly asking them for a slice she could put on the sandwich herself. Not only did they give her a slice, but INSISTED on giving her another free sandwich. Arby’s is AWESOME!!!

[DAMN IT! While we are now traveling in the van and I’m writing this I just realized we left the sandwich back in the hotel fridge].

*sigh*

1 comment: