Thursday, July 19, 2007

Of Gods And Goddesses

Day 4 – Asheville

A: A little known fact about Nashville is that in a park in town there is a full-scale replica of the ancient Parthenon in Greece, just sitting there. Apparently, it took for-fricking-ever to erect, but now it’s all done, and it’s insane. I first discovered this three years ago on a different SK tour, when I met a nice little girl at the club we were playing at and after our show hung out with her for the rest of the night. She drove me around Nashville and showed me some things, one of which was a crazy bar with performers who were like Sonic Youth’s younger, less-talented cousins, and of course, the Parthenon, which was directly across the street from the crazy bar. I literally turned around after leaving the bar and this mammoth structure seemed to appear out of nowhere. At the time, I had had plenty to drink, and by the time I first laid eyes on this monstrosity, I thought for sure this chick had dragged me right into a wormhole in space, or the Twilight Zone or something. But no, it’s there. And it’s much less bizarre in the daylight.

Anyway, that trip through madness aside, in driving to the gig the night before, we made a wrong turn through the park and ended up right in front of – you guessed it – the Parthenon. Elle starts freaking out all over the place, because she’s a total art history nerd, and begs me to take a picture of her in front of it. Meanwhile I’m freaking out, because suddenly I’m having flashbacks to that whacked out night, which was pretty cool in and of itself, but you know. We tell her we’ll return the following morning, which we did. We ended up walking around and taking a bunch of pictures. It’s a big museum on the inside, but we didn’t have time to go in, so we promised her we’d come back when we hit Nashville again. There’s even a little museum gift shop underneath it. So weird. In the midst of all this music and southern… stuff, there’s this piece of Greece, just sitting there.

L: OMG!!! I remember Alienwhere first telling us about the Parthenon on that SK tour from years before. The rest of SK half believed him. And then all of sudden, this time around, there it was. It was amazing.

A: It was totally vindicating when everyone saw it this time. Suddenly I was a little less crazy in their eyes.

No comments: